Yesterday I knit on presents with little progress to show but today I tackled the bento lunch bag I'd been
I don't have any process photos -- sometimes I just need to start cutting and sewing, especially if I'm winging it as I did here -- but basically it's this tutorial from Smashed Peas and Carrots with some size modifications (i.e. pieces were cut to 12 x 7 for the top and 12 x 10 for the bottom). I also added an insulated oilcloth layer since I wanted it washable, wipeable and padded as Papaloo often takes leaky leftovers in glass containers.
I really like the wide top opening with the double drawstring and the flat bottom which helps it stand up easily on it's own. The top fabric is a precious bit of textured cotton from Japan that I left unlined to accommodate different lunch equations -- sometimes he likes to stuff in an extra apple or two -- but the bottom is a piece of heavy cotton duck recycled from a pair of his old work pants. He'll get a kick out of that...
I added an extra panel to the bottom portion by sandwiching a recycled bit of terry bath towel between the cotton duck and a piece of oilcloth. It stiffens the bottom of the bag up considerably but this way it will contain leaks until they can be dealt with at home, sort of like the bathtub style bottom of a good camping tent.
I really love this faux wood grain oilcloth and I'm determined to use up all the scraps I have left.
Not everything went smoothly -- there were some seriously thick areas to sew along the oilcloth/towel portion and my stupid serger popped a threading on a very last seam -- but in the end, my machines managed to plow through the layers pretty well, even the slippery oilcloth. I'm going to need to change my needles though, asap. If I do make another, I think I'll add a smidge more to the width as there are a few containers it just can't handle. Good enough for now, however, especially as a trial run for this style of bag.
Now, back to knitting...